The 2019 WTA season ended last month with the first edition of the WTA Finals in Shenzhen where the world number one, Ash Barty, triumphed. I watched bits of the WTA Finals but have to admit I found it rather lacklustre and uninspiring this year. Post-US Open, i’ve been busy at work and not feeling motivated (😞) to maintain the blog. This is probably the longest i’ve gone without blogging since I started back in 2011! I began preparing my year-end posts back in the summer so I thought i’d finish them off and share them with you all. I’m starting with handshakes and hugs, celebrating sportswomanship on the WTA tour in 2019 🤗.
H&H 2019 ⬇️
1. Elina Svitolina – Zhang Shuai (Australian Open)
This was a lovely touch from Svitolina who went over to Zhang Shuai at her bench after a tough three set tussle down under in Melbourne. Elina is one of the nicest players!
2. Serena Williams – Dayana Yastremska (Australian Open)
Before their third round clash, the WTA posted an article with Yastremska who shared her story of watching idol, Serena Williams. Serena won the match handily and had some nice words for a tearful Yastremska, telling her at the net, “you’re going to make me cry!”.
3. Petra Kvitova – Belinda Bencic (various)
The respect between Petra Kvitova and Belinda Bencic in all their contests in 2019 was wonderful. Each coined tweets about being a victim of one another after they split their first two matches of the year at the Australian Open and in Dubai.
4. Ash Barty – Petra Kvitova (Various)
Everyone loves Petra! Barty and Kvitova played each other five times in 2019. Each encounter was met with bundles of respect and glowing praise for one another.
5. Serena Williams – Victoria Azarenka (Indian Wells)
Could it have been more perfect that Serena and Vika played each other on International Women’s Day 😍.
6. Madison Keys – Sloane Stephens (Charleston)
The WTA Insider Twitter account posted after the match that Stephens told Keys at the net that she gave up social media for lent which was why she hadn’t responded to her Instagram DMs 😂 .
7. Angelique Kerber – Andrea Petkovic (Stuttgart)
These two! 😍
8. Petra Kvitova – Kiki Bertens (Stuttgart)
This was a nice moment that gained some traction as Kvitova and Bertens happily chatted away before their Stuttgart semi-final.
9. Kim Clijsters – Venus Williams (Wimbledon No.1 Court Roof Celebration)
10. Donna Vekic – Caroline Garcia (Nottingham)
Garcia consoled Vekic after a gripping, nail-biting final in Nottingham, one of the best in 2019.
11. Ash Barty – Julia Goerges (Birmingham)
Gosh this was an emotional moment! There were wonderful words from a tearful Goerges in her speech after the Birmingham final where Barty was crowned world number one.
12. Viktorija Golubic – Timea Bacsinszky (Eastbourne)
Golubic and Bacsinszky hugged at the net before the match began and then again after! My favourite tennis pics from this year 😊.
13. Bianca Andreescu – Serena Williams (Toronto)
After Serena was forced to retire early into the much anticipated Toronto final, Andreescu went over and consoled her with some nice words 🙂.
14. Naomi Osaka – Coco Gauff (US Open)
One of the highlights of a memorable US Open.
15. Honourable mention
A special mention for Maria Sakkari who is one of the nicest and most popular players on tour!