The second post in the Best of 2019 series on Moo’s Tennis Blog is a selection of hot shots from the season. I’ve gone for 20 of my favourite hot shots across WTA events, Slams and even the Hopman Cup 💓. Please share any of your favourites that I missed in the comments section! In case you missed it, I started the Best of 2019 series with Handshakes and Hugs.
1. Hsieh Su-Wei vs. Andreescu (Auckland)
A double helping of Hsieh magic with TWO drop shot lob combos bamboozling Andreescu.
2. Angelique Kerber vs. Team Switzerland (Hopman Cup)
I miss the Hopman Cup already. The mixed doubles match in the final was one of my favourite tennis moments of 2019. Here’s a rally from the final where Kerber went toe-to-toe with Federer.
3. Amanda Anisimova vs. Sabalenka (Australian Open)
One of the best shots of the year.
4. Laura Siegemund vs. Sabalenka (Fed Cup)
SLICE WINNER from Siegemund. This is glorious.
5. Serena Williams vs. Azarenka (Indian Wells)
More for the rally but a super finish from Serena.
6. Elina Svitolina and Ash Barty (Indian Wells)
Both Svitolina and Barty conjured up hot shot winners in this fantastic fourth round match at Indian Wells. The Svitolina shot seems to have gone under-the-radar and wasn’t even captured by the WTA.
7. Petra Kvitova vs. Barty (Miami)
This point sadly finished off Petra in this match… but what a point it was!
8. Marketa Vondrousova vs. Svitolina (Indian Wells)
Remember Vondrousova? She was tearing up the court at the start of the year and she was a drop shot wizard. The drop shot linked below is one of the best of 2019 against one of the quickest players. And LOOK WHERE SHE HIT IT FROM!
9. Simona Halep vs. Wang Qiang (Miami)
A classic running backhand winner from Halep.
10. Petra Martic vs. Wozniacki (Charleston)
Multiple hot shots rolled up into one point from Martic.
11. Karolina Muchova (Prague)
A collection of drop shot winners from Muchova in her run to the Prague final.
12. Anastasija Sevastova vs. Mertens (French Open)
I dream about hitting a shot like this myself 😂. Unbelievable skill from Sevastova!
13. Karolina Muchova vs. Svitolina (Wimbledon)
Muchova is awesome.
14. Simona Halep vs. S.Williams (Wimbledon)
A passing shot winner worthy of the racquet clap 👏.
15. Donna Vekic vs. Doi (San Jose)
Fab winner from Vekic.
16. Angelique Kerber vs. Kasatkina (Toronto)
Great point as Kerber and Kasatkina traded control. Angie finishes it with a cracking forehand winner down-the-line.
17. Marie Bouzkova vs. S.Williams (Toronto)
Bouzkova had Serena on the ropes for a time in Toronto and was making everything!
18. Julia Goerges vs. Vekic (US Open)
An incredible pick-up from Goerges at 8:52 in the video below.
19. Naomi Osaka vs. Pavlyuchenkova (Tokyo)
Amazing speed from Osaka to get to this drop shot AND put it away for a winner.
20. Elina Svitolina vs. Halep (Shenzhen)
This was just so unexpected from Svitolina.