The WTA Best of 2021 series on mootennis.com continues with Handshakes and Hugs. The aim of this post is always to showcase the acts of sportswomanship on the WTA tour and despite still being in the midsts of a pandemic, there were many touching moments. If you’ve missed any of the previous editions of handshakes and hugs between 2016 and 2020, you can find them here 🤗.
1. Jennifer Brady and Jessica Pegula (Australian Open, QF)
An Oz open quarter-final between best buds.
2. Daria Kasatkina and Marie Bouzkova (Phillip Island, Final)
Two of my faves ❤ .
3. Bianca Andreescu and Sara Sorribes Tormo (Miami, QF)
Loved this respect. Reminded me a little of Murray-Robredo but without the finger 😂.
4. Camila Osorio and Clara Tauson (Charleston, QF)
This was just lovely from Osorio to comfort Tauson who was visibly upset at having to retire injured.
5. Ash Barty and Petra Kvitova (Madrid, QF)
A hat-trick of H&H appearances. These two ❤.
6. Angelique Kerber and Simona Halep (Rome, R2)
It’s often some of the most upsetting moments on court that bring out the most heartwarming H&H moments. When Halep’s calf went, Kerber did everything she could do to help out.
7. Serena Williams and Lisa Pigato (Parma, R1)
This was sweet of Serena to accept Pigato’s offer of a selfie after her first ever WTA main draw match.
8. Iga Swiatek and Kaja Juvan (French Open, R1)
Before and after! Loved their chat at the net about the match. You rarely see this.
9. Carla Suárez Navarro and Sloane Stephens (French Open, R1)
Sloane pitched it right so many times in 2021. Love how she always claps her opponents off the court. Classy.
10. Serena Williams and Danielle Collins (French Open, R3)
An unexpectedly delightful moment.
11. Ash Barty and Carla Suárez Navarro (Wimbledon, R1)
One of the moments of the year. I get goosebumps every time I watch this.
12. Ons Jabeur and Iga Swiatek (Wimbledon, R4)
13. Petra Kvitova and Ons Jabeur (Cincy, R3)
Look at Petra going all in for the hug!
14. Ons Jabeur and Camila Osorio (US Open, R1)
Noticing a trend here? Ons is so loved on the tour.
15. Garbiñe Muguruza and Andrea Petkovic (US Open, R2)
And finally, I have enjoyed this fledgling friendship between Muguruza and Petkovic who were practice partners down under in Australia.